[dm-crypt] nuke password to delete luks header

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue Jan 7 01:03:58 CET 2014

On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 22:44:13 CET, R3s1stanc3 wrote:

> On 06.01.2014, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> > On 06.01.2014, R3s1stanc3 wrote:
> >
> >> If you got the possibility to access your computer for a few seconds,
> >> before an attacker does, you simply could enter your nuke password and
> >> delete the luks header.
> >
> > You maybe could just switch off the power?! Depends on the situation..
> >

> I'm thinking of the most extreme case, where the attacker has the
> resources to bruteforce your password.

An attacker that can brute-force your password will not allow you
a chance to nuke it first. Please stop dreaming.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first
method is far more difficult.  --Tony Hoare