[dm-crypt] Few questions from a new user

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 12:22:08 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:

> Hi Konrad,
>
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 23:35:42 CET, Konrad wrote:
> > I am new to disk encryption and I have been reading on it for the
> > last days, but I am still confused on some points. I would
> > appreciate if someone knowledgeable could clue me in.
>
> If you have not found it yet, the FAQ is at
> http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> > 1. Is SHA1 just as secure for this purpose as SHA512? After reading
> > cryptsetup docs I have a feeling that yes, but I get conflicting
> > opinions from various people, so I thought it's best ask at the
> > source.
>
> It is. These "various people" likely do not understand what the
> attacks on SHA1 actually are but merely heard that it was "insecure".
> See also FAQ Item 5.20

We live in the world of twitter where you automatically loose when you need
to explain yourself.

More and more of this type of question will start to show up and this
inquiry just showed an explanation in the FAQ is not enought to offer
assurance and giving an answer each and every time here will get boring
pretty soon and rudeness will ensue.

Whats the worse that could happen if the default is switched to SHA2?If it
makes no practical difference,then switching seem to be a better
alternative just to silence these kind of questions as their existence puts
doubt in cryptsetup's security robustness.