[dm-crypt] nuke password to delete luks header

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 20:36:53 CET 2014

On 01/14/2014 08:22 PM, .. ink .. wrote:

>     While I have not looked at it for some time, the last time I looked,
>     FAT did a create-at-end Strategy. This way the data "wanders" over
>     the partition towrds the end. ext2/3/4 will create files all over
>     the disk in the first place.
>

> My own tests have shown that with fat fs,files are not added randomly
> all over the disk and are added sequentially.Meaning,if the volume is
> used normally without exceeding a certain amount of disk space,the
> rest of the disk will remain untouched.

The whole hidden disk idea in TrueCrypt is based on this assumption,
and it works.

>From "Filesystem Forensic Analysis" by Brian Carrier
(ISBN 978-0-321-26817-4), page 224, FAT allocation algorithms:

"The OS gets to choose which allocation algorithm it uses when it allocates
the clusters. I tested Windows98 and XP, and it appeared that a next available
algorithm was being used in both. The next available algorithm searches for
the first available cluster starting from the previously allocated cluster."

I think this will be very similar for other FAT implementations.