[dm-crypt] luks passphrase stopped working after cryptsetup+libgcrypt update on arch linux

Fabrice Bongartz fabrice.bongartz at grenzecho.be
Fri Jan 17 10:48:34 CET 2014

Hi,

After upgrading cryptsetup from 1.6.3-1 to 1.6.3-2 and libgcrypt from 1.5.3-1 to 1.6.0-1 (those are the version number from the arch linux
package manager), I am unable to open my luks encrypted partitions using the corrent passphrase.

As can be seen here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=175737 I'm not the only Arch linux user who has encountered this problem.

Forum user "eisensheng" pointed out that it seems to be related to the whirlpool hash which I am also using:

"
Appears to be a problem with the whirlpool hash option.

I've created the following LUKS containers on an older system with

    libgcrypt 1.5.3-1

    cryptsetup 1.6.3-1

and tried to open those LUKS containers on an updated system with

    libgcrypt 1.6.0-1

    cryptsetup 1.6.3-2

# cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdj1 --hash whirlpool -c aes-cbc-plain -s 128

-> can't open

# cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdj1 --hash whirlpool -c serpent-xts-essiv:sha256 -s 128

-> can't open

# cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdj1 --hash sha1 -c serpent-xts-essiv:sha256 -s 128

-> can open
"

Cheers,

Fabrice Bongartz