[dm-crypt] LUKS GPT GUID

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sun Jan 26 16:55:36 CET 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 10:24 +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> For GPT GUID, I would like to know how these GUID codes appeared in libfdisk
> and how this was standardized for LVM. LUKS should have GUID too then...
> (cc to Karel as util-linux/libfdisk maintainer ;-)

I think it would make sense to just pick one, even though it is not
used.
At least it may be helpful in partition table managers which can then
show the type as a readable name.

So just pick one... like my /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid suggests that
we use:
ca7d7ccb-63ed-4c53-861c-1742536059cc
;-)

We should just forward it to the developers of all known GPT partition
managers (gdisk, I guess parted,...) which makes any choice a de facto
standard.

Cheers,
Chris.