[dm-crypt] how to get a full disk encryption running on Linux Mint 17

Andreas dm-crypt_mailing_list at schmidt9.de
Thu Jun 12 13:42:35 CEST 2014

hello,

having used a Windows-based Truecrypt encryption with
pre-boot-authentication for some years, I want to do the corresponding
action under Linux. I am using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. The system has
one harddisk.

I already found, read and unsuccessfully tried out

    -
    http://blog.andreas-haerter.com/2011/06/18/ubuntu-full-disk-encryption-lvm-luks.sh
    and
    - http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/344

Both tutorials / scripts refer to older Linux versions.
Since I am new to Linux I do not know, what syntaxes may have changed.

I got things working so far, using a VirtualBox machine, (so Mint 17 x32
is used):

    - 200 MB primary partition ext3 on /dev/sda1 (unencrypted) as /boot
    - 9,81 GB crypt-luks on /dev/sda2 (as seen from GParted)

This configuration boots up GRUB, Mint's green/white dots start flashing.
Then I think a timeout appears - message reads:

    "Gave up waiting for root device ...
    ALERT /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root does not exist - dropping to a shell."

When I boot up from CD, start "Preferences - Disks"
I can use the built-in unlock feature and I see

     /dev/mapper/luks-0a410528-cde8-440c-891f-ef6068aad0b3   LVM2
    Physical Volume (LVM2 001)
    which consists of

        /dev/ubuntu/swap (4.1 GB)
        /dev/ubuntu/root (5.2 GB)
        /dev/ubuntu/home (1.2 GB)

So, the partions exist and can be unlocked.

I also can mount e.g. /dev/ubuntu/root
Mounted at /media/mint/fc34585c-ca63-4b28-aaca-5a00f3776856

There is /etc/fstab present.
It reads

    (...)
    /dev/mapper/ubuntu-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro
    0       1
    # /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=30b080b5-9b39-46c9-9b61-2320efde52dc /boot           ext3
    defaults        0       2
    /dev/mapper/ubuntu-home /home           ext4    defaults
    0       2
    /dev/mapper/ubuntu-swap none            swap    sw
    0       0

There is a good deal accomplished on my way to a disk encryption, but
some small problems still prevent it from running flawlessly.

I wish to have the system booting up and asking for the passphrase to
unlock all three partitions at once.

Help would be appreciated.

regards,
Andreas