[dm-crypt] how to get a full disk encryption running on Linux Mint 17

Benjamin Eberhardt eberhab at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 14:11:38 CEST 2014

Hi Andreas,

the linux mint 17 installer can do this for you automatically. If you boot
your system with the mint 17 live cd and then run the install program at
some point it will ask you for disk encryption. You just have to tick the
coressponding box [1] during the install process, probably as well as the
"use lvm" box so that all volumes can be unlocked at once. I just did this
a week ago.
I used to do this manually before but I do not remember the details on how
to get the unlocking at boot time right..

[1] e.g.:
http://cyberraiden.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/linux-mint-17-mate-screenshot-install-2.png

Cheers,
Benjamin