[dm-crypt] "cryptsetup: lvm is not available"

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:19:34 CEST 2014

On 06/25/2014 04:51 PM, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> When booting with a 3.15 kernel I get this error message and I am not
> prompted to unlock my root device.
>
> However when booting with a 3.14 kernel I can unlock my partition and
> boot normally.
>
> I have never used lvm.
>
> Where should I look?

This is probably distro dependent problem, cryptsetup itself never
prints such message (it will be from some wrapper script I guess).

I would suggest you ask on your distro support channel.
(It could be missing kernel module, missing or wrong info
in /etc/crypttab / fstab, missing file in intramdisk etc.)

Also check lsblk output, the error message seems like you
are using some lvm volume group in fact.

Milan

p.s.
Please always add information about your environment (distro,
tools versions, if possible storage stack configuration like
lsblk output etc.)