[dm-crypt] "cryptsetup: lvm is not available"

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Thu Jun 26 06:20:39 CEST 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 16:51:40 CEST, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When booting with a 3.15 kernel I get this error message and I am not
> prompted to unlock my root device.
>
> However when booting with a 3.14 kernel I can unlock my partition and
> boot normally.
>
> I have never used lvm.

Smart IMO, but the distro installer likely did. If it is
a sane installer, it will have asked some time during the
installation whether to use LVM or plain old partitions.

What this means is that your LUKS container is in some LVM
container and the distro-wrapper around cryptsetup does not
manage to open it.

LVM makes things easier for generic installations, but it
also makes it more likely that things break and more
difficult to fix when they do.

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato