[dm-crypt] Is it possible to repair header?

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sat Mar 1 02:23:23 CET 2014

Hi David,

it depends. There are some critical values that need to
be there, namely the salt values and the keyslot contents.
If they are undamaged, full recovery is usually possible.

Please post or send me the output of

  head -c 1k <LUKS-device> | hd

That should tell us more. It will not compromise the security
of your data in any way, all values in that area are public.

In the meantime, do not write _anything_ to that disk!
In particular do _not_ try to re-create that LUKS
container, that will reliably erase your data!

Although you probably do not want to hear this, this was
your second mistake. The first was not making a header backup
as strongly recommended in the LUKS documentation. Just for
future reference.

As to recovery possibilities, it is really all-or-nothing.
About half of the people that manage to damage the header
get their data back, by my personal, completely unscientific
estimation.

Arno

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 21:42:06 CET, David Kisjuhasz wrote:
> Hi Cryptsetup-TEAM,
>
> I just did a mistake :(.
>
> I think i created accidently a partition over
> my 2 TB encrypted drive.(without any mkfs)
>
> Since then i can not open the Luks any more.
>

> Is there a possibility to repair the header? ,
> or to get my data back , or some of my data?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato