[dm-crypt] LUKS/cryptsetup with HSM

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Thu Mar 6 15:29:45 CET 2014

Hi,

you cannot protect the encryption keys in an HSM. To be effective,
they need to be known to the kernel and are hence exposed to
root, see also FAQ Item 6.10. This is a fundamental limitation
of software-nased encryption.

Or maybe you want to _store_ the _passphrases_ in an HSM when not
in use? In that case youmay want to feed them to cryptsetup via
stdin, as described in the man-page.

Arno

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:17:59 CET, Sharma, Manjari wrote:
> Hi Cryptsetup team,
>
> This is Manjari Sharma from SafeNet. SafeNet is the largest company
> exclusively focused on the protection of high-value information assets.
> I'm trying to integrate our HSM with LUKS so that the encryption keys are
> protected in an HSM.
>
> Could you please help to provide some pointer. I could not find anything
> relevant after searching for hours, all I can be assured of is that it can
> be done.
>
> Your help would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kind Regards,
> Manjari
>
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected
> from disclosure. If you have received this communication in
> error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> message and deleting it from your computer without copying
> or disclosing it.

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato