[dm-crypt] goto patch for cryptsetup?

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Fri Mar 7 00:27:21 CET 2014

I don't think that is a good idea. The "goto fail" was a
problem due to either a high level of incompetence, or
due to intent disguised as a high level of incompetence.
I think well-placed gotos are actually clearer and less
risky than the structured programming equivalents.

What happened with iOS would have been blatantly
obvious with even minimal code review or a single
test-case for the skipped functionality. That these
were not done is pretty bad.

Of course, the final decision is Milan's. But I think
what would be far better is that you review all these
goto's as to whether any of them is a problem. That is
still less useful than a real review, but at least it
may alleviate the concerns of the "syntactic matching
people" that see the "goto" as a problem (or "sha-1",
or the like) instead of the specific use.

Arno

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 21:39:11 CET, Lars Winterfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in light of the latest "goto fail"s out there, would you reject a patch
> replacing all 328 gotos with their semantic equivalents from structured
> C programming?
>
> Best wishes,
> Lars

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato