[dm-crypt] SHAx and LUKS/cryptsetup

Heinz Diehl htd at fancy-poultry.org
Sun Mar 9 18:42:47 CET 2014

Hi,

while experimenting with LUKS/dmcrypt, I prepared a partition
using "-h ripemd160 -c aes-xts-plain64". LuksDump shows:

Version:       	    1
Cipher name:   	    aes
Cipher mode:   	    xts-plain64
Hash spec:     	    ripemd160

However, lsmod shows that both sha1_generic and sha1_ssse3 modules are
loaded. So I did a reboot without touching the encrypted device, and
there was no SHAx module loaded. After accessing the encrypted drive
it was, hence this is clearly the cause that these modules get loaded.

My question: why are there any SHA1 modules loaded when then encrypted
drive is NOT using it?