[dm-crypt] cryptsetup-reencode: LUKS-${UUID}.new is too small

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:20:03 CET 2014

On 03/14/2014 05:46 PM, PePa wrote:
> Arno Wagner <arno at ...> writes:
>>
>> The IO error is worrying though, it should _not_ happen.
>> Have a look into the system error log to see if this is
>> some lower-level error.
>>
>> Arno
>
> By the way, the log/new/org files stayed the same sizes througout the almost
> 10 hours of running: 512/5242880/527848 bytes.

Hi,

it is not updated until program is interrupted or you use --write-log.

Anyway, IO error is exactly the situation which cannot be handled correctly..

In theory, if you stop it with ctrl+c and then restart, it should try to continue
(log is updated in this case).

But first - what is in syslog? Is it really device error?

What version are you using? There were some fixes recently for 4k devices but
this really shout not happen in 99.4 % of device.

Please save files (log and two other) you cannot recover anything without them.
(If it really reencrypted 99% of device chances are that it can be manually fixed still.)

Please can you send me exact commands you run + device size of the device
(blockdev --getz <device>) and luksDump of your original image?
(either from temporary files or just send the whole temp. files with header)

It could be bug in reecryption so I would like to test it here.

Thanks,