[dm-crypt] Required kernel crypto interface not available

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Fri May 16 01:43:35 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Franz <169101 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Switching to LUCKS would be very interesting. Qubes already uses LUCKS to
> encrypt my disk so every time I start my computer need to put a password
> just to uncrypt it. But can LUCKS work on a file container that I can copy
> and move? I investigated it time ago and found no way to do it. Is there a
> way to do that? Really that would be the solution.
>
> Best
> Franz

Yes it can. Below is an example of how to create a 10MB LUKS volume in an
image file that can be moved around
the same way you would move around truecrypt volume image file

Summary of below steps:
1. create a 10MB image file
2. create a LUKS volume on the image file
3. open the LUKS volume.
4. put a file system on the volume.
5. close the the volume.
6. ?????
7. profit!!!!! :-)

dd if=/dev/urandom of=luks.img bs=1024 count=10000
cryptsetup luksFormat luks.img
cryptsetup luksOpen luks.img luks
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/luks
cryptsetup luksClose luks