[dm-crypt] Required kernel crypto interface not available

Franz 169101 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 03:58:31 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM, .. ink .. <mhogomchungu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Franz <169101 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Switching to LUCKS would be very interesting. Qubes already uses LUCKS to
>> encrypt my disk so every time I start my computer need to put a password
>> just to uncrypt it. But can LUCKS work on a file container that I can copy
>> and move? I investigated it time ago and found no way to do it. Is there a
>> way to do that? Really that would be the solution.
>>
>> Best
>> Franz
>>

> Yes it can. Below is an example of how to create a 10MB LUKS volume in an
> image file that can be moved around
> the same way you would move around truecrypt volume image file
>
> Summary of below steps:
> 1. create a 10MB image file
> 2. create a LUKS volume on the image file
> 3. open the LUKS volume.
> 4. put a file system on the volume.
> 5. close the the volume.
> 6. ?????
> 7. profit!!!!! :-)
>
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=luks.img bs=1024 count=10000
> cryptsetup luksFormat luks.img
> cryptsetup luksOpen luks.img luks
> mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/luks
> cryptsetup luksClose luks

Wow it works!! I cannot believe it was that easy. Also I was able to create
a container called only test, without the .img extension to hidden the file
among other files. Many thanks INK you are great!

I was breaking my head for nothing. Well it is easy when you know how to do
it. Otherwise...  Goodby to Truecrypt now.

And to make a 200 MB container?

Well many thanks indeed INK good night