[dm-crypt] Required kernel crypto interface not available

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Fri May 16 12:54:34 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 03:58:31 CEST, Franz wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM, .. ink .. <mhogomchungu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Summary of below steps:
> > 1. create a 10MB image file
> > 2. create a LUKS volume on the image file
> > 3. open the LUKS volume.
> > 4. put a file system on the volume.
> > 5. close the the volume.
> > 6. ?????
> > 7. profit!!!!! :-)
> >
> > dd if=/dev/urandom of=luks.img bs=1024 count=10000
> > cryptsetup luksFormat luks.img
> > cryptsetup luksOpen luks.img luks
> > mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/luks
> > cryptsetup luksClose luks
> >

> Wow it works!! I cannot believe it was that easy. Also I was able to create
> a container called only test, without the .img extension to hidden the file
> among other files. Many thanks INK you are great!
>
> I was breaking my head for nothing. Well it is easy when you know how to do
> it. Otherwise...  Goodby to Truecrypt now.
>
> And to make a 200 MB container?

For a less obscure way to create files in any size you
like seel also FAQ item 2.6. Can also be done with /dev/urandom,
but that gets really slow on larger files, see FAQ Item 2.19
for the idea how to wipe faster.

The FAQ ist at
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato