[dm-crypt] Hidden operating system

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Sun May 18 23:40:13 CEST 2014

On 05/18/2014 10:22 AM, BM-2cXweg5fL3NmCN6HDmMuL5VbmDXbeRaSCM at bitmessage.ch wrote:
> Hi evereyone,
> Is anything like that
> http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/hidden-operating-system possibile with linux
> and cryptsetup? I would even use TrueCrypt to do such thing, but even with
> it it is only supported on Windows.
> Actually i prefer do to that with passphrases only, since usb with luks
> header, bootloader or keyfile are something that i can lost and also can
> compromise the plausible deniability. I hope everyone understands and
> thanks in advance.

Well, for hidden OS you need to have special bootloader (TrueCrypt bootloader
decides what OS to boot according to provided passphrase).

Also hidden disk/OS is limited to FAT (for outer volume) only, so I think
it is not possible to easily do this for Linux (where you need other
filesystem).

What is probably possible is to use Truecrypt boot loader and install
Linux with some bootloader hacks and boot to "hidden" Linux OS.

But it would be tricky to do that and it would be very fragile.