[dm-crypt] Is erasing hard disk drive mandatory?

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Thu May 29 22:13:35 CEST 2014

First, I presume this is about wiping the raw volume with
cryptographically striong randomness, or wriping the new
encrypted volume with anything (e.g. zeros). These two come
down to the same effect on the raw volume.

Erasing is not recommended to remove any data that was there
before (if you want that, you must erase, but it is a separate
thing). Erasing is recommended to make it non-transparent where
data was written in the encrypted volume. If you care, then you
need to erase.

Arno

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 15:33:23 CEST, Kenny Lake wrote:
> If I want to create an encrypted volume, over a disk drive where there
> were no sensible data or there was another encrypted volume, can i skip
> the erasing procedure or will compromise the security of the new encrypted
> volume?

A good decision is based on knowledge and not on numbers. -  Plato