[dm-crypt] Is erasing hard disk drive mandatory?

Andrew list2010 at lunch.za.net
Fri May 30 12:02:00 CEST 2014

Hey Kenny,

If you do skip over the erase during configuration, you can get the same effect of by causing the filesystem to write to every block --

		dd if=/dev/zero of=uselessjunk ; \rm uselessjunk

Of course, you also need to fill up the inode tables, otherwise your disk may tell how many files are on the disk.  Make lots of files.

If you're paranoid, or have a need to irritate security experts, use /dev/urandom instead of /dev/zero.

&:-)

--
Thousands of years to mess up six days' work, and we're STILL not done