[dm-crypt] Question about backdoors and the NSL

web1bastler at googlemail.com web1bastler at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 11:07:12 CEST 2014

Hello dear cryptsetup team,

I want to ask if you received a national security letter because I want to know if my LUKS encrypted volumes are still safe.

I heard about what happened to True Crypt just recently and there has been some speculation whether the developer has gotten a nsl or something else.

I knew for quite a time that American agencies such as the NSA ask developers to build in backdoors into their encryption programs or even HW encryption chips.

I think it’s ridiculous that those agencies get so many rights that they can even stomp on the freedom of a person in a different country which is totally not democratic.

So I want to know if my sensitive data is still safe on a LUKS encrypted volume.

I’m thanking you in advance and it would be nice if you could reply in about 1-2 weeks

Yours sincerely,

web1bastler