[dm-crypt] Is erasing hard disk drive mandatory?

Stephen Cousins steve.cousins at maine.edu
Fri May 30 17:17:27 CEST 2014

Hi Heinz,

I agree. The field, by it's very nature, has varying levels of paranoia
(rightly so as we are seeing these days) and this level is more than what I
need for my purposes so I can save some time by not having to send random
data to all of the drives during the build process.

Steve

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd at fancy-poultry.org> wrote:

> On 30.05.2014, Stephen Cousins wrote:
>
> > I see. So it has nothing to do with how well the data is encrypted. Just
> > another level of protection..
>
> Maybe. I think the practical effects are negligible. With the first
> minutes of use of such a disk, temporary files get written to it,
> files get deleted, new ones get written and old stuff gets
> overwritten. If the encryption is secure, all that doesn't really
> matter.

 Steve Cousins             Supercomputer Engineer/Administrator
 Advanced Computing Group            University of Maine System
 244 Neville Hall (UMS Data Center)              (207) 561-3574
 Orono ME 04469                      steve.cousins at maine.edu