[dm-crypt] Documentation inconsistency -- On-Disk Format

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 08:32:11 CET 2014

On 11/21/2014 03:51 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> I just noticed that in the LUKS On-Disk Format Specification document 1.2.1
> http://wiki.cryptsetup.googlecode.com/git/LUKS-standard/on-disk-format.pdf
> the LUKS key slots are numbered 1-8, whereas all the tools number them 0-7.

It is just for "historic" reasons. I can fix it in documentation but old
documentation is still in place (it is installed e.g. as docs in various distros).
It could make the problem even worse.

(And changing tools means breaking user scripts which is even worse.)

It is not the first standard which uses pseudo-code description while real
implementation differs in details.

> That makes communication difficult.

I do not think so. When dealing with users problem always the tool output
is important. The slot offsets depends on key size so you must have always
proper luksDump output for the device.