[dm-crypt] Quick dm-crypt questions

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:50:20 CET 2014

On 10/29/2014 05:21 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> FAQ Item 6.10 should also apply to AES-NI, AFAIK.
> I do not have an AES-NI capable system though to
> thest that.

I think AES-NI can help with some (cache) timing attack but
not with Cold boot.

> I think this whole idea of storing keys in cache
> was some demo at some conference, but is not fit for
> practical deployment, as CPUs are too differtent.

If you mean idea of frozen-cache, it's impact to performance is huge.

There is also TRESOR and loop-amnesia which tries
fix the cold boot problem.

(Just Google for frozen cache, tresor+aes or loop-amnesia for more info.)

But all is x86_64 only and there is a lot of problems
(the first one is that it is not in upstream kernel:-)

(And dmcrypt has still one copy of key in its structs,
so deploying such solution requires some changes here as well,
not trivial because of device-mapper table logic.)