[dm-crypt] cryptsetup upgrade to 1.6.x unlocking problem in initramfs

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Sep 1 21:32:35 CEST 2014

Hi List,

I recently upgraded one of my systems and after cryptsetup was updated,
included into my initramfs it fails to open the LUKS container.

In the very beginning I ended up with a 'Cannot initialize crypto backend'
error. After some debugging I managed to add the missing kernel modules to
get AF_ALGO. Now I am getting to a password prompt, enter my passphrase
and get a failure. I cannot recall the exact error msg, I remember though
it said something about a missing option.

Anyway, I traced the whole thing, and I think it's the following call that
creates the fatal error:
bind(<FD>,{sa_family=AF_ALG,SA_data=hash\0,88})=ENOENT)

First I had a failure on the socket() call, which I managed to get rid
off, now the actual bind() fails. I can see the problem is hash related,
but further assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input

-Sven