[dm-crypt] cryptsetup upgrade to 1.6.x unlocking problem in initramfs

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 09:24:01 CEST 2014

On 09/03/2014 11:03 PM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> Will mail that in a bit directly to you. I looked at the strace again and
> realized the following:
> the call to initialize the backend with the fixed values in sockaddr_alg
> (AF_ALG,"hash","sha1") obviously succeeds, the one after entering the
> passphrase, which is filled with AF_ALG, "hash", and the hashname, which
> should be sha1 again, seems to fail.

I tried your config (just added hw drivers so it boots on my VM)
and for my non-initram i386 system it works.

The only module it requires to load (all other are compiled in) is hmac,
so try CONFIG_CRYPTO_HMAC=y or check it is in initramfs.

And obviously, removing this module so kernel cannot find it causes
socket(PF_ALG, SOCK_SEQPACKET, 0)       = 6
bind(6, {sa_family=AF_ALG, sa_data="hash\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"}, 88) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
                                = 0
I will probably try to add some better debug messages here
(but you did not send me --debug output anyway :-)