[dm-crypt] list of supported encryption options for LUKS

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue Sep 9 00:33:09 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 21:42:06 CEST, .. ink .. wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > But I still think that there should be only few strong predefined
> > combinations.
> >

> The list of option i am going to support for LUKS volumes is listed below
> as taken from cryptsetup benchmark list.
>
> First condition is for plain volumes,second condition for luks and the last
> one is for truecrypt.
>
> https://github.com/mhogomchungu/zuluCrypt/blob/c99841c21a6edeea955106134fd54d5935f8e237/zuluCrypt-gui/createvolume.cpp#L238

I would add a warning about gcrypt (see FAQ 8.3) for all
variants with whirlpool. Some people may still use this with
the broken gcrypt implementation.

Apart from that, the list looks fine.

Side-question:
Are the multi-cipher variants like "twofish:aes.xts-plain64.256.ripemd160"
something you do yourself? How do you do them? Additional
LUKS layers with the same passphrase set-up?