[dm-crypt] LUKS overhead?

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:35:45 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Ryan Nix <ryan.nix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We recently started using ownCloud which has an encryption-at-rest option.
>  However, their encryption scheme increases file size by 34%.  We need to
> have our files encrypted at rest so I was thinking that maybe LUKS was the
> better way to go.  Can anyone tell me if we'll see the same kind of
> increases in file size?  I ask because we're trying to plan on how much
> storage we should buy.

How large are the files you are creating?

Most "enclosures" uses a header and the header will increase the overall
size of encrypted file.

LUKS for example uses a header that is 2MB.

If you want to encrypt individual files,why not go with gpg?,their header
will increase the file size by only 41 bytes.