[dm-crypt] expanding encrypted volume/growing the volume

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 00:52:13 CEST 2014

On 09/10/2014 05:44 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Yes, I would merge the snapshot back into the base volume and close the
> snapshot before extending the filesystem.  Otherwise, the enlarged
> filesystem structure will exist only in the snapshot.  I suppose an
> alternative would be to merge the current snapshot, start a new snapshot,
> and the enlarge the filesystem.  If anything went wrong during the resizing,
> you could just discard the snapshot and be right back where you were with
> the filesystem. Merge that snapshot once you've determined that all went
> well.

ALERT:  I'm thinking of that snapshot backwards, because that's how I most
often use them (create the snapshot, mount the snapshot instead of the base
volume, perform the experiment, then throw the snapshot away and mount the
base volume again to forget the experiment.)

Since I don't know the age or purpose of that snapshot, I don't know whether
you would want to close it.  It would be a snapshot of the pre-expansion
filesystem.

                 Do NOT delete it.