[dm-crypt] disappearing luks header and other mysteries

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Sep 15 08:12:40 CEST 2014

There seem to be problems below the dm-crypt layer.  Both LVM volume groups report
Incorrect metadata area header checksum

Since the architecture is, starting at the top and working down,
file system
crypto (sometimes)
LVM volume  <- LUKS at this level
LVM volume group <- corruption at this level
partition of the RAID virtual disk
physical disk partition

The RAID at least still seems intact.

I'm at a loss about what could have corrupted both volume groups, on
separate physical disks.  Things did seem to start going bad after the
snapshot filled (6:30), though it was an hour later I got the first
file system error.

Maybe the crash a couple of days ago corrupted some key operating system files.

At any rate, if the volume groups are bad I suspect I'm toast and need
to go to remote backups.  There is some stuff about recovering the VG
header on the net, but even if that succeeds it would be hard to trust
the rest of the file systems.