[dm-crypt] Proposal for support of PKCS#11 devices (SmartCards and Tokens)

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Thu Apr 2 17:48:01 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 14:38:28 CEST, Nick Econopouly wrote:
> "2-factor authentication is a large field with many dysfunctional
> solutions (biometrics, for example, or numerous insecure hardware
> tokens), and no final good solutions are in sight. Hence it is not
> something that has a place in cryptsetup proper, beyond what is
> already there. You can also always treat the passphrase as the secret
> and protect that with your chosen 2-factor authentication scheme."
>
> I've been interested in the hardware tokens you mentioned; are the yubikey
> and the upcoming nitrokey insecure?
>
> (For 2fa, I assume the gnupg features are more secure because they at
> least require a pin)
>
> -nick

The think is that in the past most chipcards were broken, some
in ridiculously simple fashions. At the same time, people do not
realize this. I have even heard some security people call a
smartcard a "mini-HSM". The problem is that makeing a secure token
is hard and expensive. For example, it needs always-on sensors
that can wipe it in case of attacks on the hardware.

Sure, a hardware token of any kind usually gives you a significant
security boost as most people chose insecure passwords, but
that is basically it. If a user uses secure passwords, 2-factor
will just annoy.

Gr"usse,