[dm-crypt] Data recovery recomendations needed

David Backer doark at mail.com
Tue Apr 21 06:38:06 CEST 2015

> So:
> 1. The laptop HDD (presumably 2.5" SATA) has suffered a hardware
> failure. It had one or more partitions with LUKS containers, and one or
> more had LVM.
Yes

> 2. You have a backup of the data on another HDD (presumably 3.5" SATA)
> in your desktop computer.
Yes, but 3 months old because I needed a motherboad, I've since gotten one.

> 3. Your desktop motherboard has suffered a hardware failure.
Yes

> I'd suggest:
>
> 1. One or more of:
>
>a. Get another motherboard (CPU and/or RAM) for your desktop and
>get your desktop working again.
Check

> b. Build another desktop/ workstation/ server and move the backup
> HDD into it.
Check

> c. Get a USB external enclosure for your backup HDD.
Why? I plug it into the internal plugs, it works fine.

My question was, How do I get data off the broken drive
if the data recovery people will not take it because it has
encryption?
Do you know of any that would?
Even if they just copied off the raw sectors, I could use
them to recover the data if I moved it to a new drive
provided that the LVM info and the LUKS headers are intact
right?

Thanks again, David