[dm-crypt] out of order encryption

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 11:15:26 CEST 2015

On 08/06/2015 09:00 AM, Vasile Catalin-B50542 wrote:
> Would dm-crypt execute correctly if sector encryption ended asynchronously?
> For example:
> If sector 1, 2, 3 are sent to be done asynchronously to the same
> algorithm instance,
> and the jobs end in the following order: 2, 1, 3; does the dm-crypt
> module know to
> write the data in the proper place when the encryption "done" callback
> is called?

Not sure if I understand your question - encryption in dmcrypt works on sector
level, sectors are encrypted independetly, so order cannot influence result
of encryption of individual sectors.

Or if the question is about order of submitted requests:
If you need to ensure order of processing, you have to issue "flush" operation
before submitting next data content. Filesystems typically must do this when
handling journal or so.

In general, requests order can be rearranged (anywhere in block layer, not only in dmcrypt).
But this is correct behaviour.