[dm-crypt] Fwd: Cannot wipe header on device

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 09:44:21 CET 2015

On 13 December 2015 at 20:52, Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO this operation should print error as well:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096 count=1 oflag=sync,direct
>
> (note sync is oflag, not conv=...)
>
> Anyway, this is not error in cryptsetup...
>
> Milan

Hi Milan, thank you for the reply. You can see the output below, there
is an error indeed.

I understand this is not an issue with cryptsetup, but would anyone
have suggestions on how to proceed? Is there any hope of "fixing"
this, e.g. marking this sector as unusable?

Thank you,

Luís

$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=4096 count=1 oflag=sync,direct
dd: error writing ‘/dev/sdb1’: Remote I/O error
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 0.00142455 s, 0.0 kB/s