[dm-crypt] Can LUKS be used on a tmpfs?

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Dec 23 20:36:51 CET 2015

Simply short: No.

tmpfs is, as the name suggests, a filesystem, which lives in the VFS
domain, whereas dmcrypt lives in the block layer.

So yes, ramdisks in the form of blockdevices will work. It might even
possibly work on a file within the tmpfs. (Give is a try [there's still
loopback devices..], afterall it's all volatile memory and fiddling
around does not need any extra work)

Regards

-Sven