[dm-crypt] Variable data offset for a LUKS volume that uses a detached header.

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:15:51 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:

> Hmm. What about actually shifting the partition contents physically?
>
> Or maybe have a dummy-LUKS device, open that, read the master-key
> (see FAQ Item 6.10 ) close it again, and use that master-key
> on a plain device? This is probably far to complex, but could
> serve for experiments.

This actually works and i will go with it,it is actually possible to
get the master key
from a header without first unlocking the device.

I have a proof of concept code on how to get a master key from a LUKS
volume/header
and then opening a plain dm-crypt device with the master key together
with other options.

I have used the code to successfully create a LUKS volume header with
a VeraCrypt
master key and then reading the master key from the LUKS header and
create a "correct"
mapper through a plain dm-crypt device.

The code is at:
https://github.com/mhogomchungu/random_stuff/blob/master/cryptsetup.c