[dm-crypt] plain: opening with a wrong password

Quentin Lefebvre qlefebvre_pro at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 14:02:42 CET 2015

Hi,

Le 04/02/2015 13:33, U.Mutlu a écrit :
> Hi,
> what happens if an encrypted filesystem (plain, no LUKS)
> next time is opened accidently with a wrong password,
> and new data written to it? Will the filesystem then become
> damaged/unusable?

What typically happens when you use a wrong password is that the
cryptsetup create/open command is indeed successful, but mounting your
partition will fail (because the filesystem is not detected).
So you have few chance to accidentally damage a filesystem, even in
plain mode.

> I didn't try this out, but I know the create/open command accepts
> any password for an already existing encrypted filesystem
> since no metadata is stored with such a "plain" volume, right?

Right, but this does not mean that data will look meaningful.

Best,
Quentin