[dm-crypt] plain: opening with a wrong password

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Wed Feb 4 14:30:17 CET 2015

Quentin Lefebvre wrote, On 02/04/2015 02:02 PM:
> Hi,
>
> Le 04/02/2015 13:33, U.Mutlu a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> what happens if an encrypted filesystem (plain, no LUKS)
>> next time is opened accidently with a wrong password,
>> and new data written to it? Will the filesystem then become
>> damaged/unusable?
>
> What typically happens when you use a wrong password is that the cryptsetup
> create/open command is indeed successful, but mounting your partition will
> fail (because the filesystem is not detected).
> So you have few chance to accidentally damage a filesystem, even in plain mode.

I tried this out now, and indeed that's cool!
Thank you for this useful tip, it spares me to study further
also the LUKS stuff, as plain is IMHO sufficient for my needs.
The main drawback with plain seems to be that one cannot change
the password, instead one needs to re-enrcrypt into a new file/device.

cu
Uenal