[dm-crypt] plain: opening with a wrong password

dennis at basis.uklinux.net dennis at basis.uklinux.net
Fri Feb 6 15:01:40 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 12:51:35AM +0100, Arno Wagner wrote:
> If your passphrase is weak enough that a dictionary
> attack has a reasonable success of working (and a dictionary
> attack is the only thing the salt that hashalot adds helps
> against), then you are pretty deep in insecure territory and
> _need_ the hash iteration that LUKS provides, but which is
> missing from both plain and hashalot.

> Please do not spread unsubstantiated rumors. It is hard enough
> these days for non-experts to decide what crypto to trust
> and what not. Rumors of the kind "metadata headers offer
> attack vectors" make this even worse.

Count me among the non-experts. I have two questions. (a) Wouldn't
metadata headers incur a loss of plausible deniablity compared to
plain mode, especially when an encrypted filesystem image is stored as
a single file on backup media or in the backing file for a loopback
device? (b) Assuming a secure passphrase, wouldn't plain mode be more
secure than luks against possible vulnerabilities in the hashing
algorithm that may be discovered in the future?