[dm-crypt] plain: opening with a wrong password

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Fri Feb 6 15:47:41 CET 2015

Michael wrote, On 02/06/2015 03:19 PM:
> If you are concerned about the header, you could use Luks with a detached
> header. This way you have the advantages of Luks and you can store the header
> separate from the encrypted container.

Beware: there are some warnings in the documentation @
https://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/Cryptsetup140
"
WARNING: There is no possible check that specified ciphertext device matches
detached on-disk header.
Use with care, it can destroy your data in case of a mistake.

WARNING: Storing LUKS header in a file means that anti-forensic splitter
cannot properly work
(there is filesystem allocation layer between header and disk)."

cu
Uenal