[dm-crypt] truecrypt - what's the real story behind it?

U.Mutlu for-gmane at mutluit.com
Sun Feb 8 10:45:52 CET 2015

Hi,
the cryptsetup tool supports besides plain and luks, also loopaes and truecrypt.
I now compiled truecrypt-7.1a, and it looks not bad.
I wonder why some people say truecrypt is no more secure.
Which part or method of truecrypt is allegedly broken? Can't be fixed?
And: is full truecrypt functionality integrated in cryptsetup tool? I mean the
create-options below.

Here's a manually done "create"-session with the available options:

# truecrypt -c

Volume type:
  1) Normal
  2) Hidden
Select [1]: 1
Enter file or device path for new volume: /home/testuser/truecrypt-tests/enc.tcf
Enter volume size (sizeK/size[M]/sizeG): : 250M

Encryption algorithm:
  1) AES
  2) Serpent
  3) Twofish