[dm-crypt] truecrypt - what's the real story behind it?

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 11:03:43 CET 2015

Please see the https://ciphershed.org project which tries to continue with development.

> I wonder why some people say truecrypt is no more secure.
> Which part or method of truecrypt is allegedly broken? Can't be fixed?

There is no publicly known serious problem there. But there are license and other
non-technical problems. You will get more info on devel list of project above.

> And: is full truecrypt functionality integrated in cryptsetup tool? I mean the
> create-options below.

There is full support for mapping existing containers (with some exceptions,
see man page).

There is intentionally no new container creation support in cryptsetup and
I am not planning to add it.
We will better invest time to improving LUKS.

You can use tcplay or older version of truecrypt for that (or ciphershed when
released).