[dm-crypt] security: improve defaults

Christian Stadelmann chris.privat at genodeftest.de
Sat Jan 3 00:18:21 CET 2015

Hi

I find several defaults in cryptsetup are less secure than they can be.
Below I list them with some comments:

cipher: aes-cbc-essiv (default in plain mode)
There are known attacs against aes-cbc-essiv which lead to using aes-xts
as default cipher in LUKS mode. Is there any reason why it should not be
used in plain mode?

key size: 256 (default)
For using aes256 (which is the default cipher in LUKS mode) the key size
should be 512 bit since XTS splits the supplied key.

hash: sha1 (default)
SHA-1 is considered weak for some years, SHA-2 is widely available. Is
there any reason against using SHA-2? Since hashing is only done once
sha512 could be default.

iter-time: 1000 (default)
could be increased.

random number pool: /dev/urandom (default)
this should definitely be `--use-random` as default, you should never
use /dev/urandom for long-term crypto keys. It may result in using
low-entropy keys which obviously must not happen. It might take some
time to gather enough entropy, but that is ok since performance is not
relevant for an operation done once. Additionaly I think it would be
best to disable the option `--use-urandom` completely.

key derivation function: PBKDF2
PBKDF2 is easy to implement in FPGAs or ASICs which reduces its
strength. It is safe enough for today but scrypt is a good alternative.

To summarize: Strong crypto is available. It should be default.

Regards
Chris