[dm-crypt] persistent naming: add ID in addition to UUID

ilf ilf at zeromail.org
Sun Jul 26 19:02:59 CEST 2015

Cryptsetup currently allows "LUKS UUID in the format UUID=<uuid>.
Translation to real device name uses symlinks in /dev/disk/by-uuid
directory", as quoted from man/cryptsetup.8.

Is there a reason why other persistent block device naming schemes are
not supported? I for one would love to use by-id, "a unique name
depending on the hardware serial number":
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Persistent_block_device_naming#by-id_and_by-path

I am aware of the difference addressing hardware and LUKS header, but in
my use case, I actually *do* want to address hardware in crypttab at al.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

--
ilf

Über 80 Millionen Deutsche benutzen keine Konsole. Klick dich nicht weg!
		-- Eine Initiative des Bundesamtes für Tastaturbenutzung