[dm-crypt] persistent naming: add ID in addition to UUID

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Jul 27 23:47:16 CEST 2015

On Mon, July 27, 2015 21:26, ilf wrote:
> Sven Eschenberg:
>> Since you want to use crypttab anyway, is there any particular reason
>> not
>> to use /dev/disk/by-id/<identifier>?
>
> You are comlpetely right, that works and I should probably use that.
>
>> As UUID=<uuid> needs proper symlinks anyway, it is rather a handy
>> shorthand at the commandline.
>
> Well, the man-page for crypttab(5) in Debian and Derivatives sais, "the
> UUID is supported as well, using UUID=<luks_uuid>". So adding an ID=
> option would make this more consistent.

Still, if the man page is correct, cryptsetup only uses the symlink, so
once your inode manager screws up, there's no gain in not using the
symlink directly. In contrast /etc/fstab (mount and friends) supports UUID
(and some more) by exploiting libblkid functionality, thus they do not
depend on proper inode creation. In this case it does make a whole lot of
sende to use UUID=<UUID> and friends.

> --
> ilf
>
> Über 80 Millionen Deutsche benutzen keine Konsole. Klick dich nicht weg!
> 		-- Eine Initiative des Bundesamtes für Tastaturbenutzung

Reagrds

-Sven