[dm-crypt] Does cryptsetup use cryptodev or only AF_ALG

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Jun 5 01:19:49 CEST 2015

What's your point concerning cryptodev here?

AFAIK cryptodev is an interface to acces HW crypto device from userspace
(via netlink or whatsoever). I don't see how cryptodev is related in any
way to dmcrypt or cryptsetup.

That said, a look at /proc/crypto should give an overview concerning
available ciphers and their precedence.

So, if you have some HW crypto device and it's kernel driver has the
necessary precedence (and interface) it should be preferred over some
software implementation. (Assuming that was actually your question).

Regards

-Sven