[dm-crypt] rc.local

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sat Jun 6 05:28:35 CEST 2015

On 06/05/2015 02:29 PM, Angel Dimitrov wrote:
> My rc.local does not run before passphrasse input with keyboard during boot.

I run Debian Wheezy with unencrypted /boot, encrypted swap, and
encrypted root.  I believe the the dm-crypt passphrase prompt is
provided by /boot/initrd.img* prior to mounting of the root file system.
  So, /etc/rc.local doesn't even exist at that time.

> What to do?

If you want your O/S to mount encrypted volumes for you automatically
during the boot process, you have to work within the constraints of your
O/S (e.g. by putting entries in /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab).  rc.local
will run at the end of the boot process, and you can use it to mount
additional encrypted volumes (e.g. not listed in /etc/crypttab and/or
/etc/fstab).

David