[dm-crypt] cryptsetup luksOpen hang on semop

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 07:37:12 CEST 2015

On 06/09/2015 03:15 AM, laxmikanth reddy wrote:
> Hi Team,
> Wee are working embedded system bringup with custom build kernel 3.10.65 version.
> and kernel version is 3.10.65.
> Here, we are trying to mount the encrypted disk, when udev rule match the uevent,
> with "cryptsetup luksOpen ..", and it is getting hang at semop. cryptsetup 1.6.1.
> Can you please share light on, what could be the possible reasons for this issue?
> Appriciate your help and any pointers, to debug this issue. Thanks in advance.

Maybe you should start with reading FAQ and archive, similar problem was here
just few weeks ago, please read this thread
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.dm-crypt/8049

I think your system is just compiled with udev support but missing mandatory
device mapper udev rules (libdevmapper library and udev rules are part of lvm2 package,
cryptsetup depends on it).

Also please use new version (1.6.7) there were some bugfixes, 1.6.1 is pretty old version.

> Foloowing is the starce log, for "cryptsetup luksOpen ..":
>
> bash-4.2# strace /sbin/cryptsetup --debug --batch-mode luksOpen /dev/bootdisk2>
> execve("/sbin/cryptsetup", ["/sbin/cryptsetup", "--debug", "--batch-mode", "luksOpen", "/dev/bootdisk2", "NVRAM", "--key-file", "/varied/nv_bb"], [/* 12 vars */]) = 0

Please better always paste --debug log (which is sanitized), we need strace only
if requested (see FAQ).