[dm-crypt] External HD don't want to be deciphered

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon May 4 20:59:53 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 16:51, janemba wrote:
> (Sorry I forgot the subject)
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 4:50 PM, janemba <cap.janemba at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an issue with LUKS. I have a new external hard drive with the
>> following characteristics :
>>
>> Host scsi11: usb-storage
>> Vendor: Seagate (2TB)
>> Product: Expansion
>> Serial Number: xxx
>> Protocol: Transparent SCSI
>> Transport: Bulk
>> Quirks: SANE_SENSE
>>
>> Also I have cryptsetup install on my box with version 1.4.3 and kernel
>> 3.14.5. I can't update cryptsetup on this box as I ciphered the hard
>> drive
>> with this version and I'm afraid to not be able to deciphered the hard
>> drive if cryptsetup version change.

On a short sidenote, you could still keep a copy of your current
cryptsetup for safety or even compile a static build to keep on your
'desk' or some thumb drive just in case some issues arise with newer
versions.

Ragards

-Sven

P.S.: Aside from that you might want to fill in the details Arno asked for...