[dm-crypt] Basics

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Mon Sep 28 22:11:27 CEST 2015

On 27.09.2015, Mike Nagie wrote:

> I'd like to defend my data in case it's lost or stolen.

So all you need is encryption in any way (any cipher/hash/keysize combination will do) and a strong enough
password or a keyfile on USB memory. No withening of available disk space is necessary.

Practically, all you'll have to do is to stick with the defaults and
do the encryption. If there's unencrypted data on your free disk
space, you'll however have to overwrite it. Just do the encryption,
log into your machine and do something like "dd if=/dev/zero
of=deleteme".